Sunday, March 27, 2011

So since Joey was born, I have been struggling with the "Notion" of having him "baptized/christened/dedicated" which ever you want to call it..... When I was pregnant, I thought .."If I have a girl then I am going all 'Godfather' for her Christening.." meaning, my sister was willing to give us wedding gown, full of beautiful silks and we would have thing HUGE dress made,an elaborate ceremony at the church, a tent in the back yard, a band, tons of food, and just go all out....Just like in the movie 'the Godfather', minus the horses head. Why not I am an Italian, it was done for me, I would do it for my daughter... When Joey was born, my thoughts and feelings changed..obviously. It wasn't because I didn't feel he should have a beautiful gown, an elaborate ceremony, a tent in the back yard, tons of food... it was just that my heart was not there...I needed to have something more than 'The Godfather' for him. (again minus the horses head) We didn't have a home church in Naples and since moving to Marco Island we still don't have a home church. I did try out a church on day and at he beginning of the service, there was a baby dedication. It was beautiful, ten little precious bundles of joy all introduced and dedicated to the Lord with the church people all praying for them. Praying that their parents would raise them in a Godly home, that they would be lead to know Jesus in their hearts as soon as possible and that they would follow the path that the Lord provides for them. It was really nice, and I got a bit emotional thinking of my own son. Hmmm. Before he was born, We did ask my sweet brother and best friends Dale and Cesare to be his Godfathers. I know that normally a child has one godfather and one Godmother. In some religions, next to the the parents, it is the Godparents that are responsible for the child should anything happen to the child's parents...this is important. It raises the question of who would Dan and I like to raise our son should anything ever happen to us, (that is another topic) Joey's Godmother's are my sister and my spiritual mentor Paula. So he has pairs and that is what Dan and I felt led to do. Humbly ask these people who play important roles in our live to love our son more..with this "label" attached to them....they all gladly accepted...yet again in some cultures the Godparents have to be of the same practicing faith. Only one of these people are. I was hitting brick walls with many religions and churches here and I was not comfortable inside the walls of an institution with this. My mother and I had thought so much about this and that and where? who? how? and in Florida or in the Boston area or what? I caved one day and said it all needs to wait. Am I having my son Christened for reasons of having a family reunion with people who don't even talk to us, but that is to be expected...or am I having my son Christened because I want him to have that Special Blessing? It was the later. So the topic faded and that was that. Then a few weeks ago, we got a call from a friend of my parents telling us that he and his wife were coming to come to Marco Island for a few days, staying at the hotel, they would love to see us....This was great. We had not seen them in years and the last time they were here was when my dad was alive...so it had been awhile....The topic was beginning to arise in my mind as well in my heart...the right thing was going to be done.... These friends of my parents, I remember growing up with their children. we were all involved with the church. We attended Maryknoll seminary as church and it was great. My parents circle of friends were all from churches. This particular visitor was a pastor at The Baptist Church in my hometown..(not a Southern Baptist, but an American Standard Baptists.) and there was always events that we were attending in churches all over my town, it was unique in the sense, everyone accepted everyone for being a "Child of God" and not a "religion". Something so rare and not found so much today. Well, when Bill and Joy came for supper, I knew what needed to be asked. We all talked for hours. My mom and I were so happy to have them, they loved on Joey and Bill shared so much about my father I never knew..during dessert, I asked them if they would come back tomorrow night and Christen/Baptize/Dedicate Joey. I explained we don't have a home church, I don't want the hoopla and just something simple and small and how I really felt with Bill being a pastor,a part of our spiritual family and, he being one of my father's closest friend and spiritual brother's it was important for me to have him bless US with blessing our son. He said "Lets do it." my heart was joyous. The next night they came back and with Holy water in a bowl that I had painted, my son dresses up looking like he should be on the docks of Newport Rhode Island, Bill Christened my son Joesph Scott Williams and blessed him with the blessings of Jesus Christ. I, naturally was in tears. I saw my husbands eyes. He too was extremely moved. He really could have cared less what we did,but he wanted it right. This was it. We didn't have Godparents and tents and gowns and food. We just had a circle of life, the presence of Christ and a very happy thirteen month old baby boy. I felt peace. IN all the time thinking about "What am I gonna do?" feeling inside me.... God opened this door and made happen EXACTLY what was to happen. Just what I really did want. Simple. Simple as the faith we have for Jesus and He has for us. My son is now "Official". I hope Bill and Joy know what they did for us that night is beyond thanks....it is a lifetime of a blessing, now Dan and I really have work to do......

No comments:

Post a Comment